[LMB] Light-flyers and groundcars

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Sat Apr 8 20:11:03 BST 2017

> On Apr 8, 2017, at 2:55 PM, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> One reason our probe took so long to get to Pluto was because it _didn't_
> have propulsion; it was unpropelled and moved along on inertia and the
> impetus from gravity wells.  Heinlein discussed (in _Expanded Universe_)
> just how much faster it would be to have real propulsion for interplanetary
> travel.

Well sure, but the cost of what you want would be fantastic. The plans even for
manned Mars missions coast most of the way. Ion drive is a possibility, but as
of now and for the foreseeable future limited to a micro fraction of a g.

Wurst they are planning to use minimal energy orbital transfers.

What you want is in the miracle tech range.
--
Sufficient to the weevil is the day thereof.