[LMB] Light-flyers and groundcars

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Sun Apr 9 12:57:37 BST 2017

> On Apr 9, 2017, at 1:10 AM, Baur <baur at chello.at> wrote:
>
>> But what is the percentage gain of even a micro fraction of a g over the
>> zero g that we currently have? A VERY large number.
>
> yup - once you are in orbit you are half way to anywhere
>
> the problem is that continous thrust (even minmsucle one) is HARD
>
> servus
>
> markus

And for chemical rockets you gain most from taking your acceleration in one fell swoop. No point in
spreading it out, except to spare the crew and equipment.

We did use ionic propulsion in mission  Dawn to asteroids  Ceres and Vesta, however I seriously
doubt it’s man rated and AFAIK there are no plans to use ionic propulsion for the manned missions
to Mars where it would be most useful. Reducing transit time would be major.

And there is an experiment in Hawaii to test wether people can be isolated in a small group that long.
However, they all know they can terminate the experiment at any time. Being that far away from any
material help and having no exit is another thing completely. Also reducing travel time would reduce
the radiation exposure of the crew.