[LMB] Light-flyers and groundcars

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Sun Apr 9 13:08:40 BST 2017

> On Apr 9, 2017, at 7:32 AM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
>
> Alternatively, in the future, people’s smart hand-held or built-in devices could be paying attention to silent moving vehicles.  The interconnected world will change these.    Lots of SF have fewer observation devices active than we have in today’s world.

Nearly all have fewer observation devices. If you are in a city on the street you are probably always under
camera observation. In NYC if you use a credit card to buy your subway pass, they can track you, EZPass
of course is tied to your responder and the records have been used in divorce proceedings and criminal trials.

All but the most recent SF set in the future, has no cell phones, including the stories set in Miles' Universe.
As Herself has noted, that’s one reason to prefer fantasy, because it doesn’t show it’s age so much.

BTW: The Turtledove Story I mentioned _The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump_ seems to be written from
about the time that the Miles’s story technology. It has landline telephones and the protagonist have to
search for a pay phone which turns into a plot point.

--
Sufficient to the weevil is the day thereof.