[LMB] SP: Penric's Romance

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 12 02:17:37 BST 2017

Since we've got developments in the latest novella, I think I'll add the spoiler space, just in case
we do turn spoilerish.

I'd say that Nikys/Penric have all the hallmarks for a happily ever after in the romance genre.
Penric may be flawed (covered in demons! said in an Eddie Izzard voice), but he's still a worthy
prize for a hard-working heroine. Handsome, great skills, a DOCTOR (which is a romance sub-genre in
its own right), kind, intelligent . . . and on and on. He's also mysterious and always surprising
her, which is mostly delightful (sometimes after a suitable cooling down period, it mellows into
delightful). And he's saving her butt.

On the flip side, Nikys is smart, well-versed in politics, pleasing in shape and form, kind if wary,
very practical, and doesn't seem to mind a demon hanging around. "Wonderfully cool in emergencies!"
And she represents a certain safe harbor for him, emotionally. She's a worthy prize for a hard-
working hero. And she's saving his butt.

I think we can look forward to at least one or two more happy explorations of the relationship,
where they continue discovering how right their first instincts were about each other.

But, this being a Bujold story, who knows what will happen? Terrible corners could be turned. I
don't think we'll get a Whedon-like knife in the back as readers. But, I'm pretty sure things won't
work exactly as the romance tropes say they should.

I'm not sure what a better match for Penric would be. I don't believe in the One Twu Wuv thing, so
I'm sure there are other partners for Penric out there. Maybe he could marry a rich daughter of one
of his patrons. Would he be happy, though? Would WE be happy if that patron's daughter edged out
Nikys because she was rich, young, smarter, stronger, better and perfect in every way? Nikys is
great, but she has just enough faults/flaws that we get a proper story instead of a trophy recital.

Micki