[LMB] Gregor - The Moment

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 13:39:26 BST 2017

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 00:23:07 +0000 (UTC), "M. Haller Yamada"
<thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Micki: >I'm reminded of Facebook syndrome, where everyone else's life looks perfect and blissful.
>

>Marc: You have a very different circle of friends, then.
>--
>
>Micki: Well . . . I haven't been on Facebook for years. And thinking about this statement I've made
>is fascinating. What filters are in place that I should get this idea? I've read news articles that
>say people are getting depressed because they have faulty filters: they see their friends' lives (on
>FB and other social media) as glamorous and "with-it" while they view their own lives (through
>filters again) as being total crap (even though they may post only the glamorous and exciting
>moments on FB). (-: Through the rumor mill, I hear my friends mostly post political links that are
>not glamorous but are certainly exciting the emotions for good or ill. So, the news articles and my
>personal gossip mill don't match up with the facts.

I suppose a lot depends on your friends.  There is a certain type of
person who tends to "curate" their timeline, and all you ever see is
"Shiny Happy People" (cue REM: https://youtu.be/YYOKMUTTDdA)

But a lot of people I know are having a genuinely hard time and don't
feel that they have to Facebook competitively.

A significant part of my feed is groups fighting the worst excesses of
Brexit and the hideous regime of the Pry Monster, Theresa May.
--
We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses. - Abraham Lincoln