[LMB] Gregor - Quietly Angry

Margaret Devere margaret at devere.net
Tue Apr 18 15:19:11 BST 2017

From: "Margaret Devere" <margaret at devere.net
Margaret:
Maybe Gregor really believes that he shares government with the counts and
other structures. He doesn't feel he needs to impose his will.
I can think of at least a couple reasons that he would think this:
- If other people think something is their idea, they'll be happier with it
and implementation will be much easier.
- Maybe Gregor doesn't have a good idea or see what's best, and he thinks
that the process will generate a better solution.

Gwynne:
I think Gregor is happy to make it look like he's not doing much, and
allowing the Counts to run things, as long as it's running where he wants it
to go. He almost always passes when the vote is taken and only acts to break
a tie. But of course the hard work is all done before the vote - Aral and
later Miles, and probably several others, are working the Counts before the
vote. And when Gregor does vote straight away most of the Counts fall into
line.

Margaret:

Note that we don't see all the nuts and bolts of government -- only the
dramatic bits that affect our story. Siting of the new power plant,
subsidies to specific industries, daily humdrum -- let the chips fall where
they may as long as they're not outside his tolerance zone.

I agree that where Gregor really cares about the outcome, he probably gets
involved.

---