[LMB] Miles takes over

Brad Jones brad at kazrak.com
Tue Apr 18 17:54:58 BST 2017

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 7:07 AM Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> From: Walter Bushell <proto at panix.com>
>
> > On Apr 18, 2017, at 1:39 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> >  But I don't think it counts
> > when he's not on duty as an Auditor.
>
> Walter:
> Being an Auditor is somewhat like being an Emperor, except an Auditor has
> someone
> above him and can resign.
>
> Gwynne:
> I just wondered if they're always 'on duty', so to speak. I know they're
> the Emperor's
> Voice when they're on assignment, but I wondered if they have that power
> all the time,
> or only when working. It's rather a lot of power to go handing out to be
> used at random
> all the time, and it'd be a bit awkward in their private lives. I wondered
> if there was some
> limit on it or if they're always so powerful.

I suspect that an Auditor is always on duty to the extent that if they see
something wrong they can/should do something about it. (See also: Miles
using the Emperor's Voice to get Nikki medical treatment, although he was
in mid-assignment at that point.)

However, they don't always speak with the Emperor's Voice, so telling Sasha
to stop playing with his food is not an Imperial command.