[LMB] Authority and its drawbacks re:Gregor

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Thu Apr 20 13:03:22 BST 2017

Compare and contrast with The Gregor’s and Miles’ problem with authority.

Remember in Komarr, where Miles does not use his authority to fast penta
Madame Radovas, because he didn’t want to create the appearance of abuse
of authority. Of course, that would have *ruined* the plot.

From _First Lensman_ bu E. E. Doc Smith

(Talk about Space Opera a plot carried out over thousands of gigayears and at least two galaxies and
actually multiple Universes as we understand Universes.
.
Vernor Vinge’s Zones of Thought novels may cover a similar time period, but limited to one galaxy.
Samms is talking with “Mentor” about the Lens.)

(“ The Lens of of Arisia gives infallible identification and powers of Mind.” )

<quote>
"I will pay a tremendous price any price within reason or possibility for the Lens; but I will have to know what that price is to be."

"It will be heavier than you think, or can at present realize; although not in the sense you fear." Mentor's thought was solemnity itself. "Whoever wears the Lens of Arisia will carry a load that no weaker mind could bear. The load of authority; of responsibility; of knowledge that would wreck completely any mind of lesser strength.

</quote>

--
Sufficient to the weevil is the day thereof.