[LMB] Wath about a "The Vor movie"?

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com
Fri Dec 8 17:36:29 GMT 2017

> On Dec 8, 2017, at 4:03 AM, Karen Hunt <huntkc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 10:25 PM, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And then there's the Script from Hell, which we have discussed here before.
>>
>> I'm not clear on the details (it's been a while) so could someone else
>> explain to our new friends?
>>
>> Oh, and welcome.  I may look scary but I don't bite.
>>

> The script from hell, yes....
>
> Basically a movie company bought some kind of rights to The Warrior's
> Apprentice, but really wanted to make a Star Wars knock-off. Characters had
> names from TWA, but the plot had no recognizable connections to the story.
>
> I could look up some details (it was talked about on the list back in the
> old old days), but suffice to say the result was really really appalling.
> The movie never got made.

There were several posts (common subject was “The Script from Hell”) back in August 2002 (see <http://lists.herald.co.uk/pipermail/lois-bujold/ <http://lists.herald.co.uk/pipermail/lois-bujold/>>) that went into some detail of the “plot” of the script. I also have a vague memory, probably in an earlier discussion, of a Lois McMaster Bujold comment that Aral was lucky in that he was killed off in an early scene and thus missed the rest of the movie.

Back when that company’s option on _The Warrior’s Apprentice_ expired, I mentioned this to Mike Moscoe at a convention and he thought that _Cetaganda_ might make a good movie (in that Hollywood would have less reason to make a mess of it - it comes with spectacle, minor roles for starlets, etc.).

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com