[LMB] OT: Buying online

Harvey Fishman fishman at panix.com
Thu Dec 14 00:09:39 GMT 2017

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:

> I?ve been hearing a lot of talk about the evils of Amazon. This year I bought more things online than usual for me.
> From Amazon, I get email confirmation immediately and the item in a few days (I got Amazon Prime when Dora the Explorer shifted from Netflix).
> From any other site, I never seem to get confirmations and it?s 5 or 6 weeks before the item arrives.
> I?m not singing the praises of Amazon as much as saying the other sites should do better.

Note that the people complaining of Amazon are mainly the ones who got their
shelves knocked off. Amazon has just rediscovered that the secrets of merchandising
are really very simple - good pricing combined with good service.

Currently I am of quite limited mobility, so I have most things delivered.
There are a number of good merchants other than Amazon - examples for me are
NewEgg.com, BuyDig.com, and even occasionally Walmart.com. I am sure that there
are many others.

Harvey