[LMB] OT: Buying online

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sat Dec 16 03:13:47 GMT 2017

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 19:09:39 -0500 (EST), Harvey Fishman
<fishman at panix.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Dec 2017, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
>
>> I?ve been hearing a lot of talk about the evils of Amazon. This year I bought more things online than usual for me.
>> From Amazon, I get email confirmation immediately and the item in a few days (I got Amazon Prime when Dora the Explorer shifted from Netflix).
>> From any other site, I never seem to get confirmations and it?s 5 or 6 weeks before the item arrives.
>> I?m not singing the praises of Amazon as much as saying the other sites should do better.
>
>Note that the people complaining of Amazon are mainly the ones who got their
>shelves knocked off. Amazon has just rediscovered that the secrets of merchandising
>are really very simple - good pricing combined with good service.
>
>Currently I am of quite limited mobility, so I have most things delivered.
>There are a number of good merchants other than Amazon - examples for me are
>NewEgg.com, BuyDig.com, and even occasionally Walmart.com. I am sure that there
>are many others.

My dislikes of Amazon are based on their somewhat poor treatment of
their staff (and some suppliers) and their blatant tax-dodging.

However, I'm not sufficiently noble to give up the keen pricing, fast
delivery and (to my mind) the best-integrated ebook environment.

I will however support any initiatives to make them pull their socks up
a bit.
--
Miliband: (n) - A thousandth of what it takes to get people dancing.
   - Richard Robinson in URS