[LMB] Glad Yule

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Fri Dec 22 03:02:54 GMT 2017

There's usually someone on the LMB list who posts this each Northern Hemisphere winter solstice. I'm not sure if he's one of the listees who've died this year. Not having seen it, I thought I would post this poem, as well as the URL to a spectacular photo.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap171221.html

The Shortest Day by Susan Cooper

So the shortest day came, and the year died,
And everywhere down the centuries of the snow-white world
Came people singing, dancing
To drive the dark away.
They lighted candles in the winter trees;
They hung their homes with evergreen;
They burned beseech one fires all night long
To keep the year alive,
And when the new year's sunshine blazed awake
They shouted, reveling.
Through all the frosty ages you can hear them
Echoing behind us--Listen!!
All the long echoes sing the same delight,
This shortest day,
As promise wakes in the sleeping land:
They carol, fest, give thanks,
And dearly love their friends,