[LMB] Call for Birthday Tixies 2018

M R Dolbear fm little.egret at dolbear.fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 27 00:17:22 GMT 2017

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017, at 15:21, Walter Bushell wrote:

> I could gladly do without February. Oh, looks at Subject.
>
> "I can make a joke about any subject.”
> “Make a joke about the Emperor.”
> “Gregor Vorbarra, long may he reign, is not a subject."

Apparently this dates back to at least to Oscar Wilde (d 1900)

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140629175711AASVPG8

The anecdote comes, by the way, from the 1908 The Reminiscences of Lady Randolph Churchill:

=quote=
At a particularly pleasant luncheon-party, given by Lady de Grey, I remember once meeting, among others, M. Jules Claretie of the Francais, Mile. Bartet the gifted actress. Lord Ribblesdale and Mr. Oscar Wilde" than whom a more brilliant talker did not exist, that is when he was in the mood for it. An argument arose between him and Lord Ribblesdale on after-dinner speeches, Mr. Wilde declaring that there was no subject on which he could not speak at a moment's notice. Taking him at his word Lord Ribblesdale, holding up his glass, said "The Queen." "She is not a subject," answered Wilde, as quick as lightning.
=unquote=
--
Little Egret by email
Michael Dolbear in Walton-on-Thames