[LMB] Call for Birthday Tixies 2018

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Thu Dec 28 16:30:53 GMT 2017

> On Dec 27, 2017, at 9:31 PM, M R Dolbear fm <little.egret at dolbear.fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> [Captain Vorpatrils's Alliance ch 10]
> He turned to the women. “How do you do, Lady Vorpatril, Mademoiselle Rish. Welcome to Barrayar.”
> He said this in the exact same way that Lady Vorkosigan had said, Welcome to Vorkosigan House. It came to Tej that he was the one man here who was not a subject. Did that make him an object . . . ? He sat, apparently the signal for everyone else to do likewise.

Thanks for the correction and amplification.

Rish was the only woman there who was not a subject, but Tej did not think to think if that made Rish an object.
as Tej was married to Ivan and hence a Barrayaran subject, (perhaps?). As she is Lady Vorpatril she is
apparently a subject and shouldn’t she have to place her hands between that of the Emperor especially as
members of the aristocracy? Or perhaps between the hands of Count Vorpatril?  Unless they waived
protocol under the circumstances.

It took me sometime to remember that “Shiv” is the name of an improvised blade in the American prison system.
Given his history, I think this is meaningful. We know he was a ship jacker. Truly a man who
fought his way to the top and proud of it.

--
People who live in grass houses should not stow thrones.