[LMB] OT: Kindles etc. was: The Hanging Tree fell on my Kindle this morning.

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 12:44:59 GMT 2017

On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 23:29:21 +0000, Eliza Shallcross
<eshallcross at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 9:48 AM Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 14:00:13 +0000, Eliza Shallcross
>> <eshallcross at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I've got a laptop that I do all my work on; I don't have a desktop. It
>> >weighs about 5 pounds-way too heavy to lug around with my bad back and
>> >arthritic shoulders. Smaller laptops are seldom compatible with Word
>> >(unless you go astronomical)
>>
>> What do you consider to be "astronomical"?  As I said upthread, I have a
>> Lenovo that weighs a couple of pounds and sports a core i7, 8GB and
>> 256GB SSD, easily runs Word.  And cost just North of 400 quid.

>Just north of 400 quid is getting into astronomical for me. I looked at few
>in that range. <g>

Perhaps- but this is a *beast* of a thing, despite its diminutive size.

As far as I know, core i7 is the most powerful CPU available in a
laptop, and if you're not doing major processing you can get away with
much less.  I run server-class software on my tiny little laptop. :)

The i3 is considerably cheaper than the i7.  The price/performance
"sweet spot" at the moment is probably the i5.
--
If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live. - Lin Yutang