[LMB] OT: Sig

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Mon Feb 27 17:22:08 GMT 2017

On 2/27/17 5:02 AM, Marc Wilson wrote:

> 1) I worked (indirectly) for a public sector client whose procedures
> were such that I spent 2 days designing and documenting and getting
> approvals for what turned out to be a 3-line fix that took 5 minutes.

Yeah, but depending on where those 3 lines of codes are deploying them
might not make sense.

Been there done that. On both sides of the equation.

Once saw a number of simple, easy fixes never get approved because the
cost of the obligatory full QA cycle was more than the
being-pushed-out-for-a-new-shiny-thing product was worth -- to
management, and probably, considering deployment costs, to the
customer's management and IT department, if not the end users. As the
developer, it was frustrating. OTOH if the actual product had been
managed a bit better instead of being left to grow organically from
developers' clearly limited understanding of what use said product was
put to in the field, many of those fixes would *not* have been needed.
As the person responsible for rolling out the product and explaining its
shortcomings to customer, it was frustrating (can't believe that at some
point I had been excited to move from the field to that dev team -- I
had delusions that the monstrosity could be fixed).

Agnes