[LMB] OT: Bellydance, was Mira link corrected

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Tue Feb 28 07:55:20 GMT 2017

On Feb 27, 2017, at 09:30 PM, Jason Long <sturmvogel66 at gmail.com> wrote:

I don't know anything about bellydancing, but I'd've thought that the
different styles/schools were more nationally based. I gather that's not true?

Marina:
Mostly, however American Tribal Style™ (see http://fcbd.com/about/about-ats/) is a melange of a number styles, national, as well as flamenco and gypsy cultures. It is not cabaret style (American or Egyptian) with skimpy or chiffon belly-baring attire and lots of sparkly bits. I happen to like that style of jewelry better than the Morocco to India mostly metal with enamel, paste, or opaque stones. I admit to liking a small selection of them.

Briefly, ATS™ is a synchronized improvisational style with troupes instead of individual dancers, with relatively subtle cues and leadership changes, and group dynamics (which is rather nice). There are other similar styles, ITS, Improvisational Tribal Style; SGI, Synchronized Group Improvization; Tribal Fusion which is rather Goth for the most part, and there is some crossover between Bollywood and some tribal styles.

Marina