[LMB] AKICOTL: Roses in peril

Helen Fenton hifenton at internode.on.net
Wed Jan 11 10:00:32 GMT 2017

Sydney is temperate enough for aphids. They will quite happily chomp your roses to bare branches. My mother ( who grew the most glorious roses) always saved a bucket or two of soapy wash water to throw over her roses to keep the evil bugs away.

If you have harlequin bugs or some other weird variant I'm sure the soapy water trick should help.

I will swap you for my rose problem - for some reason the damn fruit bats have decided that my roses are delicious and they have eaten every single bloom and bud. My son caught the little beasts at it.  They have never attacked them before and we have been living here for seven years. I lost my mango crop with the heavy storms late last year so they might be missing their favourite snack but we have lost a mango crop before without them attacking my roses.

I'm sorry about your roses but do try the soapy water trick - it won't hurt even if it doesn't help.

Kind Regards,
Helen Fenton