[LMB] Unspoilered: Just how autonomous is Des?

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Wed Jan 11 20:49:50 GMT 2017

On Jan 11, 2017, at 2:04 PM, Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz at centos6.eskimo.com> wrote:

> (Which opens up the question: does the B*stard have one death
> demon, or many?  Does it have one that it keeps on ice till its
> needed, or does it create a new one specifically for each victim?
> Would it/they always use the same method, or vary it from time
> to time?)

Is the distinction meaningful?  Aren't we told that once a demon goes back to the Bastard's Hell, it loses its, well, not form, because it has none, but its individuality?  So each time a death demon is needed, the Bastard plucks out a lump of demon-stuff, like bread dough, and shoves it into the human world to accomplish its rising and baking (hm, don't think the metaphor extends itself so well) -- its goals, anyway.

Katherine