[LMB] ot: tech discussions

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Sat Jan 14 14:14:15 GMT 2017

> On Jan 13, 2017, at 6:48 PM, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:
>
> They would also cost a lot more than the robots we've sent.  The
> relevant question is not whether a geologist can learn more than a
> robot, but whether the geologist can learn more than the robots we could
> get for the cost of sending and returning the geologist.
>
> -xx- Damien X-)

Humans are difficult to keep alive in space, including radiation shielding and our
corrosive body products, redundant systems for life support and indeed everything.

Not even in the Replicator Universe are closed systems used. The space habitats probably
are semi closed with resources from the asteroid belts etcetera used for volatiles and there
is also the possibility of import of any essential element. Also maintaining technology at
even our current level requires a large population.

Having a colony where a necessary product is over two years away for the nearest resupply
is frightening.