[LMB] OT:Cookbooks

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 15:25:07 GMT 2017

On 1/17/2017 3:08 AM, I wrote:

> [...]
I regularly cook food ranging from Imperial Roman, through medieval
European and Persian to Mongolian filtered through Imperial Chinese
using repro cookbooks, and more modern stuff ranging from classical
French through the newest ideas in sous vide cooking. Cooking is fun
when you look at it as a chance to be an adult and play with your food =)

I have to admit, I do have a bit more experience cooking oddly, I just
watched "Fanny's Last Dinner" on Netflix, a recreation of a meal from
about 1900 done by the guy who is responsible for "America's Test
Kitchen" and I am a bit whiney about it all - there was a comment that
[effectively] nobody cooks like this any more, and they had issues
sourcing calves heads and feet, and I would have LOVED to have been a
fly on the wall when they called Maryland's Game Conservation department
to ask when terrapin season was [those type of turtles are endangered,
there is no hunting - though I bet you might be able to source some from
zoos, zoos frequently are trying to shed excess animals.] The good part
of the documentary was they actually spent 18 months learning how to
make things from scratch, get the proper timing down and learn how to
cook on a coal converted to wood stove and use appropriate kitchen
tools. Though I have this intense desire to walk up to him and slap him
with a printout of people who regularly do all that [Ivan Day,
Associated with Britain's Hampton Court is a major educator in period
cooking, and Jas Townsend's crew regularly do 17th century cooking.] Not
to mention, if I in small town America can find calves parts, how
someone in freaking Metropolitan BOSTON with all of its
halal/kosher/random ethnicity groceries and butchers has trouble finding
cow parts is beyond me.