[LMB] citizenship was Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 144, Issue 86

M R Dolbear fm little.egret at dolbear.fastmail.fm
Thu Jun 1 01:39:26 BST 2017

On Wed, 31 May 2017, at 23:32, Lois Aleta Fundis wrote:

> Being Lady Vorpatril is probably close enough to citizenship;/being a
> Barrayaran subject for Barrayaran law. Laws about citizenship vary widely
> from country to country here on 21st Century Earth.  (One of my coworkers
> was telling me yesterday that someone had been asking if a person could
> have triple citizenship. Double citizenship is fairly common.)

Recall Miles arguing that Mark is Lord Mark and a Barrayaran subject (in
BiA)

Quad citizenship may be possible since I see that an Irish grandparent
can get you Irish citizenship.
And if you were a Jew, perhaps Israeli citizenship too under the law of
return.

> And again, when Cordelia swore her oath of allegiance to Gregor, that made
> her Barrayaran by Barrayaran law. Whether Beta Colony still can claim  that
> she -- or Miles as her son (or Mark for that matter as her biological  son)
> -- has Betan citizenship, too, is up to Betan law.

Haven't we seen Miles Naismith with a Betan passport?

--
Little Egret by email
Michael Dolbear in Walton-on-Thames