[LMB] Mountains of Mourning discussion

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Jun 1 19:01:04 BST 2017

On Jun 01, 2017, at 10:54 AM, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:

There's a really good C.S. Lewis quote on the topic which I like to use, despite despising him
personally:

*Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber
barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty
may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those
who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so
with the approval of their own conscience.*

I'm only thinking of him, I'm only thinking of him!
No matter what I may do or say,
I'm only thinking about him!

In my body, it's well known,
there is no one selfish bone--
I'm only thinking and worrying about him!
-Man of La Mancha
   (one of his female relatives worrying about what people will say about her being related to an apparently crazy old man who consorts with all sorts of persons below her notice)

Marina