[LMB] OT: Space: Some people are just lucky

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Fri Jun 2 07:28:48 BST 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_(atmospheric_phenomenon)

Hey, it's a good name--better than David Gerrold's "Fred" (no offense meant to Mr. Smith, or any other Freds who may read this) for anything the name of which he found annoying or unpronounceable (by him, that is).

Speaking of Freds, this is one I adore:
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/schaubs-meat-fish-and-poultry-palo-alto?select=6qX6Ve05pcCFYaqSxIQJfA
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/schaubs-meat-fish-and-poultry-palo-alto?select=VgYmeb-s1Bg3xCW1sf7FIQ
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/schaubs-meat-fish-and-poultry-palo-alto?select=OaVjgx0LOq4VSix6s5FJuA

They are not per pound cheap, but the best darn steak I have ever eaten. If you like your meat more than medium rare, pass on this steak, because that would be a sin against nature. I couldn't tell the difference between the Prime version over the Choice, so we only bought it once. It is a favorite choice, as it were, of my son for his birthday. We have to buy two, because ArthurChow.

http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2017/05/supernova-sn-2017.html
Supernova found--this is his ~third~

http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2017/05/anticrepuscular-rays-over-khasil-dasht-iran.html
amazing hilltop discovery

http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2017/06/pink-rainbow-over-marysville-ohio.html
The rainbow was in the Girdle of Venus

and speaking of the Belt/Girdle of Venus:
http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2017/05/hephaestus-and-aphrodite.html

I've seen a skein of hand-dyed yarn that resembles this:
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170504.html

does this look like blood in the water to you?
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170517.html

Zodiacal light over Horshshoe Bend. Button over the sky for a directory of the stars shown
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170522.html

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170526.html
Imagine the center as a white moonstone with arcs of white topaz as a pendant. You can find similar nebulae designs at her Etsy shop AngelwearDesigns run by Angela Jones-Parker (redhead alert!), who runs the vendor room at NorWescon, and will run the one at ConJose next year. She is also usually found at Baycon, which is when I usually connect with her these days.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170601.html
Shadowrise and Sunset: The road tracking through this stunning 360 degree view crosses a remote mountain area of Jämtland, Sweden.

Marina

http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2017/04/odd-structure-near-regulus.html
Odd Structure Near Regulus

https://www.nps.gov/flfo/index.htm
Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument The Master Builder was practicing for Devil's Tower (CE3K ref)

First Red Sprites Observed Over Central Europe in 2017
http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2017/04/first-red-sprites-observed-over-central-europe-in-2017.html

http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2017/04/bathtub-ring-around-lake-powell.html
Bathtub Ring Around Lake Powell

Strange Windshield Frost
http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2017/04/strange-windshield-frost.html

If the news is getting you, and you're not feeling all that happy, these might help give you some beauty in your day.