[LMB] Baen contest: SF/Mystery drabble

pouncer at aol.com pouncer at aol.com
Sat Jun 3 01:15:26 BST 2017

The request is to justify which SF detective, or character, you'd
hire (presuming they could be hired)  to investigate a crime,
and why.

http://www.baen.com/contests-june2017

Seems like Miles would be near top of the list.

Since I can't confine myself to drabble-length thoughts
I dare bring the notion here.

I honestly thought from the first chapter of _Chalion_ that
Caz would be the POV detective investigating the
mysterious "Death in the Old Mill". This is probably due
to overdose of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boy titles in my
reckless youth. Not sure when in the book I gave up
that misconception. I _still_ think the unnamed saint
of the Father who knows who lies in the courtroom
would be an interesting detective --  dealing with lies
OUTSIDE the courtroom where his gifts would not
apply and reconciling honest testimony conflicts among
the witnesses and suspects.

Ingrey, of course, and now Pen.

Other than Bujoldian Sherlocks, there are those with
SF-nal superpowered cop/tects: Gil the ARM, R. Daneel
Olivaw (sp?) and maybe, wozzername, Lauren Webster
from _Islands in the Net_.

"Hunter", from Clement's _Needle_, would be good.

All in all I want Lord Darcy and Friar O'Lochlainn,
with the tools and techniques they've mastered, looking
into things.

Who have I missed?