[LMB] Baen contest: SF/Mystery drabble

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Sat Jun 3 12:33:07 BST 2017

> On Jun 2, 2017, at 9:18 PM, Robert Woodward <robertaw at drizzle.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 2, 2017, at 5:15 PM, Pouncer at aol.com wrote:
>>
>> The request is to justify which SF detective, or character, you'd
>> hire (presuming they could be hired)  to investigate a crime,
>> and why.
>>

>> http://www.baen.com/contests-june2017
>>

>> Seems like Miles would be near top of the list.
>>

> The way I read it, they don’t want characters who are detectives in their stories. So Miles is right out. Ekaterin on the other hand ...

Miles is not a detective, he takes on the role when required, but the role is subordinate to his job as such.

OTOH his tendency to take over the situation and do more than requested causes trouble
for his superordinates, so you might pass on him unless you were truly desperate. He drove even
Illyan to distraction. (Illyan seems to be a name designed for typographic confusion, in Google’s default
type face the capital ‘I’ and the lower case “l”s are almost indistinguishable.)