[LMB] Just wondering about Tien's bribes

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 3 17:13:35 BST 2017

From: Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>

On 6/1/2017 4:20 AM, Walter Bushell wrote:
> My take on what happens if the conspirators actually collapsed the wormhole is destruction
> of Komarr and its space stations. Escobar annexes Sergyar, followed by Cetagandan expansion
> due to absence of Barrayar from the Nexus.

Zan:
Wasn't most of the Barrayaran Fleet on the Komarr side of the wormholes
at the time? What happens then is a civil war, probably won by the Fleet
Admiral, or whoever can convince him to follow. Then you have Barrayar
In Exile, based on Komarr or Sergyar.

Gwynne: Most of the fleet plus Aral, Cordelia and Miles Vorkosigan. A whole
Vorkosigan dynasty plus all the troops you could want.  Due to auditors beyond
their control they had to spring their fiendish plot early, and really no matter
what happened they'd lost before they began.

And since the radiation pulse from the wormhole collapse would probably
have wiped out a great deal of the tech on Komarr the planet would have
been a disaster zone (one of the drawbacks of dome living - nowhere to run)
- Aral and the fleet would probably have had to rescue the Komarrans rather
than invade them.

The whole thing was a bit of a shambles, really - they were scientists, but
not so great when it came to plotting. I have a sneaking suspicion that they
hadn't been very active during the previous uprisings, they had all their
anti-Barrayaran feelings - a bit like Tuomonen's mother-in-law - but hadn't
actually done much about it. Then suddenly this opportunity falls into their
laps, and it's their last, big chance to strike a blow. They're romantics, swept
up in the drama and heroism. Sadly, they're not good long-term planners
when it comes to rebellions.

But.... can't you just see the New Barrayaran Empire, based around Komarr
and Sergyar, with a Vorkosigan dynasty ruling it?