[LMB] Just wondering about Tien's bribes

Ursula uleubner at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 5 00:50:11 BST 2017

> On Jun 3, 2017, at 12:13 PM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> But.... can't you just see the New Barrayaran Empire, based around Komarr
> and Sergyar, with a Vorkosigan dynasty ruling it?

They may have the military fleet, but do they have the population to support it?  The population of Sergyar seems to be no more than that of a large city, but spread out without an industrial base.  The population of Komarr is concentrated in a few domes, and can't be that high either.
Even with Barrayar, the tax burden to support the military was quite high, as noted when it was compared to that of Cetagandia, which they were trying to match militarily.  Take away the most populous planet, and I don't think the military can be sustained, even taking away the burden of the domestic military that keeps control of Barrayar.
It is noted that attacks on Komarr's merchant fleet stopped once they had Barrayan military escorts.  Which suggests that Komarr doesn't have the population and resources to support a military large enough to properly protect its merchant fleet.  It's not going to be able to keep the military fleet going for long.
I expect that what will be left will not be an empire or a major power.  A two-planet alliance, but the two planets having very different needs, is going to be unstable.  And each will have to look to other planets and powers for the resources they need to survive..
Ursula

End of Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 145, Issue 10