[LMB] Just wondering about Tien's bribes

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 5 02:02:05 BST 2017

From: Walter Bushell <proto at panix.com>

> On Jun 3, 2017, at 12:13 PM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The whole thing was a bit of a shambles, really - they were scientists, but
> not so great when it came to plotting.

Walter:
Engineers, not scientists methinks. And no so good engineers at that. They also lacked foresight.
And hindsight actually. What happened when they had the trial run should have given them pause.
As I said before having a wormhole vanish, even quietly would have drawn immense interest. "Isn?t
that remarkable; a wormhole disappeared; we really should investigate; at least a chance for
new physics."

Gwynne:
One more problem if they'd been successful: they don't seem to have realised that it would have
made them a target for every other world in the Nexus. Wormhole-collapsing technology would
be a powerful weapon for any government - or any corporation - in a civilisation that depends on
wormholes. Imagine being able to hold other planets to ransom - pay up, or surrender to us, or
we isolate you forever.  Trade rivals could eliminate alternative routes to funnel all transport through
their own planet's wormhole stations. Cetaganda would have pounced fast - they'd be able to
carve up the Nexus to suit themselves, tailor trade routes and communications lines to ensure that
captured worlds couldn't get outside help. Jackson's Whole would have a wonderful time with
blackmail and threats, and blocking competition to keep all trade routes under their control.
Once word got out, their long-term survival chances would be .... about zero.