[LMB] Being Betan

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Mon Jun 5 04:51:54 BST 2017

On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 02:27:19AM +0000, Pat Mathews wrote:

> Beta doesn't admit it, but they seem to actually have what I'd call an
> empire in all but name. A trade empire, of course, but they are the
> great power everyone looks up to. And they do not need the crude

What do you base calling it an empire on?

> Galactics who come to Barrayar seem to end up falling in love with it,
> at least those who land in the upper reaches of Barrayaran society.
> Even though there is a temptation to cry "Help! I've fallen into a
> Regency Romance and can't get out!"

Very small sample size.  Xav's wife, Cordelia, the Vervani ambassador
from Cetaganda... and we don't know if the first or third every really
fell in love with Barrayar, rather than a particular Barrayaran.  As
Cordelia did.  The depth of her love for *Barrayar* may be measured in
her distance from it in the latter part of her life, safely ensconced on
Sergyar.

Conversely, Elena fled Barrayar on adulthood, and Elli's visit didn't
make her fall in love with the place.

Mark is essentially a galactic, and while he keeps ties there, doesn't
seem to be spending much time on planet, nor Kareen with him.

And those are despite being in the upper reaches of Barrayaran society,
or having a golden ticket invitation to be so.

-xx- Damien X-)