[LMB] Being Betan

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Mon Jun 5 14:13:51 BST 2017

On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 06:38:30AM -0400, Karen Hunt wrote:

> Xav's wife wasn't particularly happy (Shards of Honor, chapter 2):
> Was your grandmother happy on Barrayar?" Cordelia estimated Vorkosigan's
> school days were perhaps thirty years ago.
> "I don't think she ever adjusted completely to our society. And of course,
> Yuri's War . . ."

Heh, thanks.

> > Mark is essentially a galactic, and while he keeps ties there, doesn't
> > seem to be spending much time on planet, nor Kareen with him.
>
> Mark appears not too unhappy with it. I'm not inclined to list him under a
> "current haters of Barrayar" list. Judging from the paper he wrote while on

But he gives no sign of being "in love" with it, either.  He's not a
woman who grew up on Barrayar, so he wouldn't have the same visceral
avoidance Elena might (though there is his odd upbringing), but he gives
no sign of settling down there, either.  And Kareen seems fine living
weeks away from her family.

> I think the reference to galactics falling in love with Barrayar is mostly
> to folks like Dr Canaba, Enrique, and Tej and her family. I admit not
> thinking that "fall in love" is their primary emotion in that regard.
> Mostly, it's "these people aren't as crazy/backwards/militaristic as I'd
> thought." A compliment, but not a very strong one.... Except for Tej, none

Plus they had alternatives of imprisonment or death, and Enrique doesn't
notice much outside his focuses...

"Come to Barrayar!  It's safer than Jackson's Whole!"

-xx- Damien X-)