[LMB] Being Betan

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 21:02:18 BST 2017

I would note that both Cordelia and Bel aren't all that fond of it.  The
wormhole explorers never fit in, and Bel seems to find it boring.

Our Host has described it as inspired by California, although I still think
it's more like the various Scandinavian countries (or at least how they
seemed at the time the first Vorkosigan books were written - their fate
looks rather different from today's perspective).

To be Betan seems to mean that one's life is highly controlled in ways you
take for granted, and unrestricted in other ways which you also take for
granted.  Moreso than most other societies, both ways.

Matt G.