[LMB] OT: Fred & ibuprofen, was Gwynne's knee

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Tue Jun 6 09:09:37 BST 2017

On Jun 4, 2017, at 10:13 AM, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> I could take iburpofen or similar, but my stomach often isn't happy' when I do that, and doing it this way offers some relief.

I take ibuprofen with a light snack to buffer possible gut unhappiness. Couldn't hurt to do that with aspirin. If any of you are ever given sulfa drugs (are they still in use?), you MUST drink at least 8 fl. oz of liquid. I should also drink at least half a cup of liquid when I take medications.

My belle-mère is anaphylactic-level allergic to any salicylate, so Aspercreme and most muscle rubs & patches are right out. She claims that both ibuprofen and Aleve contain aspirin, which I doubt. I could believe that aspirin is used as part of synthesis, as cyanide is in acetaminophen, but I think I'd have heard that by now.

Wintergreen and meadowsweet honey also contain salicylates. Her reaction to lavender is a bit less intense, but starts with her throat closing up.

Aleve and Tylenol do nothing for me: staring at the moon is just as likely to deal with my pain. Arthur was able to use Tylenol until he was about six, and then he moved to ibuprofen for his headaches and migraines.

Ain't we fun?

A. Marina Fournier
Saffronrose at me.com