[LMB] OT: Fred & ibuprofen, was Gwynne's knee

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Jun 6 10:34:48 BST 2017

On Tue, 06 Jun 2017 01:09:37 -0700, "A. Marina Fournier"
<saffronrose at me.com> wrote:

>My belle-mère is anaphylactic-level allergic to any salicylate, so Aspercreme and most muscle rubs & patches are right out. She claims that both ibuprofen and Aleve contain aspirin, which I doubt.

Aspirin and ibuprofen I believe work in the same way, so it may be that
an allergy to one might go with an allergy to t'other.  But ibuprofen
does not contain aspirin.  They are both nonspecific COX inhibitors.

It may be that the allergy is to a metabolite of the drugs, rather than
the drugs themselves.
 - Winston Churchill