[LMB] Group Read of Richard III

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Tue Jun 6 12:02:56 BST 2017

> On Jun 6, 2017, at 12:39 AM, baur baur <baur at chello.at> wrote:
>
> and the actors in the globe used sign language and miming?
>
> Servus
>
> markus
>

>>    Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> hat am 6. Juni 2017 um 00:44
>> geschrieben:
>>

>>    My son had a teacher who stated that Shakespeare should be read silently.

Well Mr. Shakespeare wanted to be a writer, but the market wasn’t there so he
went into the equivalent of movies, to wit plays where he could attract money
from the illiterate.

In Ankh-Morepork the patrician got his musical fix by reading the scores and hearing
the music in his mind’s ear.

Since we have no living tradition of Mr. Shakespeare ’s plays from his time, there is an
advantage of reading the folios, in that we avoid a level of interpretation and we can
watch the plays in our mind’s eye as it were. Of course we are still stuck with critical
editions. Every attempt is problematical.