[LMB] Group Read of Richard III 1.1

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Thu Jun 8 12:24:42 BST 2017

> On Jun 7, 2017, at 9:57 AM, pouncer at aol.com wrote:
>

> Okay, to kick things off.
>
> A cool feature of R3 is that Shax avoids chorus
> and prologue and jumps right into monologue
> and dialogue. Richard stands on the street
> corner and talks to himself -- and hey, along
> come a prisoner and guards.  They chat, part,
> and then - wow -- coming along another
> way arrive a mourner and pall bearers. THEY
> chat. And then because of the chat the
> mourner and mourned part ways and the pall
> bearers go off down a different third way than
> either they'd come from, or where they'd been
> going. (And presumably different from the
> directions of the Clarence's arrest or jail.)
>
> BUSY corner.
>
> No threats, no force, no bribes, no promises.
>
> What Richard mostly does is lay out a wholly
> different perspective - or two, given that his views
> in monologue differ from his claims to others. He
> hardly even pulls strings.  He talks, and things
> change.
>
> No wonder Miles is enthralled.

And Richard (GLOUCESTER) is deformed to boot.
<QUOTE>
And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover,
To entertain these fair well-spoken days,
I am determined to prove a villain
And hate the idle pleasures of these days.
</QUOTE>

However, one of my sources claims that this is an
excuse. We shall see. Anyway he reminds me of
Alberich who renounces love for power.