[LMB] Group Read of Richard III 1.1

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 16:55:36 BST 2017

*GLOUCESTER *speaking!
Only, I don't actually realize that G. is Richard until halfway through the
monologue.  Would the audience know who the richly dressed man is, right in
the beginning of the speech?

OK, war is over, winter has become summer, clouds have become floral
wreaths, where are the girls at?
No girls want me???eleventy???

"I, that am curtail'd of this fair proportion,
Cheated of feature by dissembling nature, ...
Why, I, in this weak piping time of peace,
Have no delight to pass away the time, ...
I am determined to prove a villain
And hate the idle pleasures of these days. "

If  Richard was alive today, he'd be that college student who can't get
laid and so grabs a gun and shoots random women.

"Why, this it is, when men are ruled by women:
'Tis not the king that sends you to the Tower:
My Lady Grey his wife, Clarence, 'tis she
That tempers him to this extremity."

Once again, Richard is trash-talking women:  laying the blame for his own
actions on a woman who has nothing to do with his -own- plotting.

I don't like this guy, at all.

"We are not safe, Clarence; we are not safe."

Nope! no one is safe from the plotter who looks like a Nice Guy [tm].