[LMB] Being Betan

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Sun Jun 11 16:28:53 BST 2017

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 01:10:58PM +0000, Gwynne Powell wrote:

> Walter:
> Cordelia never completely adjusted to Barrayaran society.
>
> Gwynne: Yet after she lost Aral she stayed in the Empire. Even after she retired from
> Vicereining.

She stayed on Sergyar, as far away from Barrayar as you can get while
remaining in the Empire.  And one can strongly argue that she didn't
stay in the Empire for its own sake, and obviously not on Barrayar; she
stayed on Sergyar, which happens to be in the Empire, for now.

> Besides, I think her focus was the other way round - she never really tried to adjust to
> Barrayaran society, it was so much easier to make Barrayaran society adjust to her. And,
> eventually, it did.

It did, a bit.  Mostly she's so privileged she didn't have to worry that
much about adjustment.

-xx- Damien X-)