[LMB] Being Betan

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Sun Jun 11 16:45:03 BST 2017

> On Jun 11, 2017, at 11:28 AM, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:
>
> She stayed on Sergyar, as far away from Barrayar as you can get while
> remaining in the Empire.  And one can strongly argue that she didn't
> stay in the Empire for its own sake, and obviously not on Barrayar; she
> stayed on Sergyar, which happens to be in the Empire, for now.
>
>> Besides, I think her focus was the other way round - she never really tried to adjust to
>> Barrayaran society, it was so much easier to make Barrayaran society adjust to her. And,
>> eventually, it did.
>
> It did, a bit.  Mostly she's so privileged she didn't have to worry that
> much about adjustment.
>
> -xx- Damien X-)

That was a key towards the story up to _Red Queen_, hyper privilege and a chance to mold
a planet. Anyplace else and her status is much reduced, even if she travels with Barrayran credentials.

She did adjust a lot though, she undoubtedly allowed Alys to do her wardrobe, for example.

--
Sufficient to the weevil is the day thereof.