[LMB] Being Betan

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 12 13:03:50 BST 2017

From: Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net>

> Walter:
> Cordelia never completely adjusted to Barrayaran society.

> Gwynne: Yet after she lost Aral she stayed in the Empire. Even after she retired from
> Vicereining....

Damien:
She stayed on Sergyar, as far away from Barrayar as you can get while
remaining in the Empire.  And one can strongly argue that she didn't
stay in the Empire for its own sake, and obviously not on Barrayar; she
stayed on Sergyar, which happens to be in the Empire, for now.

Gwynne: I think she changed quite a bit; she realises that she couldn't go
back and live on Beta. And not just because of the children - she could go
there on her Barrayaran passport and sidestep the Betan population rules.
She's always pushing Beta as a better place for education, attitude, etc. And
her mother is there. But she doesn't plan for her girls to grow up there, she's
keeping them within the empire.