[LMB] Being Betan

Royce Day sirtalen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 14:34:17 BST 2017

>Is there actually text evidence that Cordelia c o u l d  and did go back
>to Beta? She was a traitor to her home world, she got AWOL and she
>assaulted her therapist.

Diplomatic immunity covers a number of sins. As the wife of Barrayar's
Regent/Prime Minister, it would be a major diplomatic gaffe to either
refuse her entry or attempt to arrest her on assault charges,
especially in later years as it becomes more obvious at the Empire is
both open to Galactic influences (to a point) and is a steadfast
opponent to Cetaganda. Plus, even assuming what her therapist
attempted to do to her was legal under wartime powers, it's hardly
ethical even by Dark Beta standards, and Cordelia probably cheerily
attempted a lawsuit as soon as the mess with Vordarian's Pretendership
was cleaned up.

Honestly, there's a fanfic to written about what the poor Betan
Ambassador to Barrayar was doing during the whole mess with Cordelia's
defection to Barrayar, marriage to a war criminal, and then bringing
back Vordarian's head at the climax of the coup.