[LMB] Being Betan

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Mon Jun 12 16:42:35 BST 2017

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 12:03:50PM +0000, Gwynne Powell wrote:

> Gwynne: I think she changed quite a bit; she realises that she couldn't go
> back and live on Beta. And not just because of the children - she could go
> there on her Barrayaran passport and sidestep the Betan population rules.

I don't think that would work.  If she's there as a Barrayaran, Beta can
kick her and her unauthorized kids out.  If she claims a right to be
there as a Betan, she's subject to Betan rules.  Sergyar gives her
freedom to raise a big family, and *not* in the midst of Barrayaran
culture.  (Miles' fragility may not be the only reason she didn't have a
daughter with Aral on Barrayar.)

> She's always pushing Beta as a better place for education, attitude, etc. And
> her mother is there. But she doesn't plan for her girls to grow up there, she's
> keeping them within the empire.

On the empire's frontier, one day from Escobar and two weeks from
Barrayar, in a local society she's helped shaped.

-xx- Damien X-)