[LMB] Group Read of Richard III 1.1

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Mon Jun 12 17:28:04 BST 2017

On Fri, June 9, 2017 10:55 am, Sylvia McIvers wrote:
> *GLOUCESTER *speaking!
> Only, I don't actually realize that G. is Richard until halfway through
> the monologue.  Would the audience know who the richly dressed man is,
> right in the beginning of the speech?

I think there's a reasonable chance -- the Wars of the Roses were recent
history, less than a century old, and the play _is_ titled for Richard
III, after all.  But the monologue has pretty much all the information you
need to know, in and of itself.

> OK, war is over, winter has become summer, clouds have become floral
> wreaths, where are the girls at? No girls want me???eleventy???
<snip>
> If  Richard was alive today, he'd be that college student who can't get
> laid and so grabs a gun and shoots random women.

Hmmm, that's not entirely a bad way of thinking about it.

> "Why, this it is, when men are ruled by women:
> 'Tis not the king that sends you to the Tower:
> My Lady Grey his wife, Clarence, 'tis she
> That tempers him to this extremity."
>
> Once again, Richard is trash-talking women:  laying the blame for his own
> actions on a woman who has nothing to do with his -own- plotting.
>
> I don't like this guy, at all.

No reason you should -- but the Queen was not well-loved.  Remember,
Richard has to be plausible to convince people to back him...

> "We are not safe, Clarence; we are not safe."
>
> Nope! no one is safe from the plotter who looks like a Nice Guy [tm].

Indeed.  Only people you trust can betray you ;)

Tony Z

--
Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"