[LMB] Being Betan

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Jun 12 23:56:30 BST 2017

On Jun 12, 2017, at 1:22 PM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> You don't need full on "Dark Beta" to be disturbed by the retroactive permission that the "therapist" seems to think is normal. It reminds me that the difference between therapist and the rapist is just a little space. In (RL), there is (IMNSHO) not nearly enough control over mental health professionals or knowledge of what they are doing to people.

Amf: (a couple of friends after college called me that, and I had no problem with that nick)

Therapists, social workers, and psychiatrists in cit/county/state employ can carry a big stick if a patient or guardian thereof disagrees with what they "recommend" or say is policy.

In many cases, they don't just have policy, they have agendas. If the way you live crosses theirs, they haul out "community standards" as a rebuttal. I chose to tell my son's social worker that she was out of touch with current CS, speaking from a not-toxic environment. I wanted to say that she would know a current CS if it bit her nose, but restrained myself. It doesn't help that govt. MH staff usually only see examples of situations where things HAVE gone toxic, and see anything resembling it, or varying from what they try to model as best, as leading to sin and damnation aka charges, trial, and prison.

I did check my situation with a European mom and with other local moms, who also felt the SW was out of touch.

> On Jun 12, 2017, at 7:34 AM, Royce Day <sirtalen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Honestly, there's a fanfic to written about what the poor Betan Ambassador to Barrayar was doing during the whole mess with Cordelia's defection to Barrayar, marriage to a war criminal, and then bringing back Vordarian's head at the climax of the coup.

Any chance it's online, and I could read it? Would love to see the be-bogglement od said ambassador!

A. Marina Fournier
Saffronrose at me.com