[LMB] Group Read of Richard III 1.2

pouncer at aol.com pouncer at aol.com
Tue Jun 13 04:02:41 BST 2017

Gwynne Powell says

>I don't know if the parallels are
>stronger with Miles and Ekaterin - what
>pressures did Miles bring on the widow?
>Did he help her husband out of the world
>to clear the way to her? The twisted,
>plotting brother to the ruler, forcing a
>helpless widow into marriage ...

With Shax there are ALWAYS parallels,
resonances, echoes, and instructive points.
Or, at very least, directors and producers who
attempt to make things so.  A production
could be "targeted" at Aral and an audience
of his age, and a later one repurposed
toward Miles and cohort.  Easy-peasy. Not
every feature will echo every rumor. But
enough will so so to make a point and engage
an audience.

There is a production of "Julius Caeser"
going on now that is making more news than
is newsworthy, mostly because of the casting
and costuming.

At some point very early in Miles's awareness
he imprinted on R3 as hard as a newly
hatched gosling on Anna Panquin. And I
am thinking -- and think most expressing
opinions share the opinion -- that any
performance is more impressive than any
reading. SO, I think a very young Miles
was dragged to the theater to see R3. Who,
shortly afterwards, read and re-read and
re-performed and cemented in memory the
rhythmic cadences alluded to in _BiA_

It is plausible to me that Aral's political
critics cast and costumed a production where
Richard and his minions all wore brown and
silver. Etc. (Aside -- the whole vision
is like a warped version of our favorite
movie fantasy casting game, so that [my
favorite movie Aral] Oliver Reed plays Richard
targeted at Aral, and Emma Thompson plays Lady
Anne as Cordelia, and maybe Anne Hathaway plays
Queen Elizabeth as Kareen worried about her son's
regent... ) It is also plausible to me that
Aral's reaction to deniably spot-lighting his
perceived villiany in such a fashion would have
been to drag the whole family to opening night,
sit the Emperor's box, and cheer and boo and hiss
and applaud in all the right places; for the
sake of the play rather than the politics.
These then would be the crack-shell moments when
Miles impressed upon Richard.

I'm eager, of course, to entertain alternative
thoughts.

I now ALSO want access to the TV's "Barry Allen's"
portal systems to search alternate Earths for a
version where Oliver Reed DID in fact make
a movie as Richard...  Oh, and I want all the
British films "Alexander Dane" did, including the
explicitly established Richard III, before Sir Alex
signed on to his universe's US TV series _Galaxy
Quest_.