[LMB] The larger mask on Mira's Last Dance cover

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Jun 19 09:05:47 BST 2017

It's also a plague doctor's mask. I knew there was something I forgot. It might be tied in to Penric's healer aspect.

In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, some doctors wore a beak-like mask which was filled with aromatic items. The masks were designed to protect them from putrid air, which (according to the miasmatic theory of disease) was seen as the cause of infection. The design of these costumes has been attributed to Charles de Lorme, the chief physician to Louis XIII.

check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor_costume for a full costume worn by some plague doctors starting in the 17th C.

The costume is also associated with a commedia dell'arte character called Il Medico della Peste (the Plague Doctor), who wears a distinctive plague doctor's mask. The Venetian mask was normally white, consisting of a hollow beak and round eye-holes covered with clear glass, and is one of the distinctive masks worn during the Carnival of Venice.

Marina