[LMB] Re: Semi-OT: History of Turkish Delight aka locum, with Narnia readers' ideas of what it must have been

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Tue Jun 20 04:44:31 BST 2017

On Jun 19, 2017, at 08:04 PM, Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com> wrote:

Shouldn't that be 'lokum'? A 'locum' is a place holder (short for locum
tenens). I first ran into Turkish Delight in the Sayers novel _Strong
Poison_ but not under the lokum name. I can't stand the stuff, myself;
it is far too sweet.

amf:
locum, lokum, loqum...transliteration or traanslation.

Locum, as in locum tenens, which my use of startled one doctor, is Latin.
The various spellings of the candy is from the Turkish.

It can be the basis of puns, you know.

Fuji in Japanese can mean wisteria, or that large mountain in so many famous pieces of art--the words have different etymologies.

Marina