[LMB] Being Betan

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Thu Jun 22 21:48:13 BST 2017

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:09:10AM +0000, Gwynne Powell wrote:

> And much of her attitude is Betan superiority that she'd probably feel towards just
> about any non-Betan world, in one form or another. Even though she never did
> fit in on Beta and would be totally miserable if she went back there.
>
> I have to say that the attitude of foreign wives to Barrayar is a lot more accepting
> than the attitude of Haut wives married to Ghem; even though they're still within
> their own culture we see bitter resentment there. One tried to tear the whole
> Cetagandan Empire apart, and another was still seething after a century.

You can't just statistics from stories.  Or, "anecdotes aren't data".
Haut wives might well resent being ghemmed, but it's not like Lois would
tell lots of stories about content ones.  Cordelia seems to have been a
happy enough Betan before meeting Aral and become a crash victim of
therapy and state secrets.  We see Cordelia at the moment of transition,
we see the haut-wives who push back.

> Which would be better: to be an outsider wed to a Barrayaran, or a Haut woman
> married to a Ghem lord?

Depends on what you value, and the Barrayaran, and the point in
history.  Xav and Aral are particularly good Barrayaran men to be wed
to.  Imagine falling for some more charming version of Tien.  Or Serg,
or Ges...

-xx- Damien X-)