[LMB] Shopping "montage" ?

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Fri Jun 23 16:46:15 BST 2017

On Jun 23, 2017, at 11:01 AM, pouncer at aol.com wrote:

>> https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/06/20-books-to-read-if-you-loved-watching-wonder-woma.html
>
> The author of the list apparently understands the meaning of the
> word "montage" differently than I do.  Or read a version of
> _Barrayar_ from an alternate universe.  Still,  one hopes the
> exposure brings in new fans.

Yeah, I boggled a bit at shopping “montage” — I mean, it’s not like there’s actually any shopping going on at all!

I’ve nearly finished the Jill Lapore Secret History of Wonder Woman — Lapore certainly pulls together fascinating details from that whole era, from the suffrage movement through the middle of the century.

I liked Connie Willis’s Blackout and its completion All Clear a lot, but agree with others that it could have been more tightly edited into one book.  Doomsday is wonderful but not cheerful.  Willis’s books run such a range from the hilarious to the tragic to the depressing (tragic is fine; I avoid depressing).

I’ve added several of the works on the list to my own wishlist.  And now I’ll have to look into Fictitious Persons, too.

Katherine