[LMB] Five Gods and global seasons

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jun 30 23:53:08 BST 2017

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 16:15:38 -0400 (EDT), Harvey Fishman
<fishman at panix.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jun 2017, Marc Wilson wrote:
>
>> All fraught with ambiguity (I remember long discussions in various
>> places about whether "12AM" is noon or midnight (it's midnight, BTW) -
>> opportunities for chaos to reign).
>
>12AM and 12PM are both midnight. Noon is 12M - the Meridian, so 12 hours
>after the Meridian and 12 hours before the Meridian are both midnight.

That's what makes sense as a strict definition.  In a universe where the
difference is important, and times need to be useful, however:

By *convention*, Midnight is 12AM, because 1 minute past midnight is
12.01 AM, similarly Midday is 12PM, because 1 minute past midnight is
12:01 PM.  It's arbitrary, but it's based on the "Principle of Least
Surprise".
--
My parents went to a planet where the dominant life-form has no
bilateral symmetry and all I got was this stupid F-shirt.